It is not uncommon that you are finding it difficult to quit smoking, because like you most people also go this same difficulties. Quitting may be hard, but it’s definitely not unattainable. A lot of people like you have faced up to the challenge and are now ex-smokers. If they can do it so can you. With adequate resources and support, such as Counseling and medications, you can well be on your way to quitting. If you’ve tried quitting smoking in the past but couldn’t pull it off, then try again. The more you try, the easier it gets. You find out that you will be a step closer to your goal of quitting for good. Now is the best time to quit. It’s never too late.
How should I quit smoking?
1. Pick a quit day
Choose a date within the next couple of weeks to quit. Once you have done this, try your best to stick to it, you don’t have to wait for the “perfect” day – just pick a date and work towards it. Put it in your scheduler or calendar.
If you’d like:
- List your reasons for quitting – cold be for family, health or money.
- Decide on and write down some new hobbies you can do as replacement for smoking – things such as working-out, knitting, making model airplanes- something they’ll keep your hands and mind busy.
- Speak with friends, family, and colleagues and ask for support. Tell them about how you plan on quitting, involving them makes you committed and also makes it feel real to you.
- Live smoke free – Remove everything from your life that reminds you of smoking (such as ashtrays, lighters, cigarettes, tobacco, papers).
- Learn about quit smoking withdrawal symptoms and timeline and also how to cope with the nicotine withdrawal symptoms.
If you are still in doubts as to why you should quit smoking take a look at the following dangers of tobacco smoking.
Tobacco smoke is responsible for the death of millions of people each year in The US . Statistics show that death’s from Tobacco related causes is four times more than deaths caused by murder, alcohol, car accidents and suicides combined .
• Smokers have a higher incidence of respiratory problems and they are more severe ( bronchitis, asthma, shortness of breath, emphysema, cough, flu, etc. . ) .
• Smokers may find it more difficult to become pregnant and carry a pregnancy to term than non- smokers. Smoking during pregnancy can cause miscarriage , premature birth, labor and delivery more difficult , in addition to increasing the risk of low birth weight in babies .
• A smoking reduces life expectancy by 10 years.But when you choose to quit, that changes everything!
• In less than eight hours , the level of carbon monoxide in the body decreases and blood oxygen concentration increases.
• After 2 days, the sense of smell and taste begin to return to normal.
• After 2 weeks to 3 months , breathing is easier.
• After 1-9 months, a noticeable improvement in symptoms such as coughing, sinus congestion , fatigue and shortness of breath.
• After 1 year , the risk of smoking-related heart attack is cut in half.
• Less than 10 years later, the risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half.
• Less than 15 years later, the risk of dying from a heart attack is equal to that of a person who has never smoked.
2. Choose two or more quit smoking methods
There are many proven ways to quit smoking. It is advisable that when making the choice of a quit smoking method, that you select more than one method, this will increase your chances of success. Pick a method that appeals to you. We are all different and you have the duty of finding out what works best for you.
Methods of stopping smoking
There are various methods to stop smoking , the best known being the nicotine substitutes , but more and more people are asking the obvious question : if I want to wean myself off of nicotine , why should I use a nicotine substitute ? Other
methods are known drugs, but there is also the question of side effects in people . Finally there are natural methods that seem to be increasingly popular.
The most important thing when looking for a quit smoking method is to find the method that best suits your personality. It is impossible to quit without being motivated or without having set a goal . Whatever method is chosen, none of them will work if you are not ready psychologically. The miracle method does not exist!
It is a mouth spray with essential oils ( Malta Puff ) to quit smoking that is sprayed into the mouth. Essential oils are captured by the taste buds and act directly on the neuro-chemical receptors in the brain thereby neutralizing the urge to smoke . The Malta puff spray is for people who want to stop smoking because it allows smooth control and reduce smoking and to stop later if we decide to stay.
• The nicotine replacements
They relieve symptoms that occur due to lack of nicotine. These substitutes deliver nicotine to the body and this could either be oral or dermal. The patches deliver nicotine through the skin. They can sometimes be poorly tolerated by the skin and cause itching in some people and burns. They only work on the physical effects of nicotine withdrawal, not the psychological dependence. Chewing gum is comparable to the nicotine patch except that the nicotine is transmitted by oral method. Depending on the level of dependence, you can use more or less. The tablets are placed under the tongue, but they can cause headaches at the beginning of their usage.
• The inhaler
It has some resemblance to a cigarette holder. It is also an alternative to the nicotine but also associates the gesture. However, the lack is experienced more than with other alternatives, because the nicotine takes longer to reach the blood stream.
They should be used only on prescription. They can cause side effects in some people.
It only works with certain susceptible individuals but its effects would be limited in time. A how to Quit Smoking Guide.
The acupuncture needles decreases cravings and the urge to smoke. This method is not sufficient for highly dependent smokers. And they appears to be no scientific evidence that demonstrates it’s effectiveness, although a lot testimonies abound to it’s effectiveness.
• The behavioral psychotherapies
Behavioral psychotherapy allows the smoker to become aware of the problem. The idea is to get rid of this habit.
3. On your quit date, Quit completely.
Don’t smoke, not even a trifle. cast aside your cigarettes and ashtrays.
Avoid individuals and places where you may be tempted to smoke. If you are surely always tempted to smoke when you sit on a particular chair, don’t sit on this chair. If you always smoke at a club, avoid that club for a while. Adjustment of your usual routine, is important so you can embrace a new routine that doesn’t involve smoking.
- Come Out – Tell everyone that you have stopped smoking. How do you cut off the back, and no one will offer you more of a cigarette.
- Search for a Helper – Find somebody, a friend / partner or in / in which / who stands by you lovingly and unconditionally in your smoking cessation efforts.
- Consider setting up a regular workout routine in addition to your quit smoking plan. once you have stopped smoking, exercising on a regular basis will not only serve as a healthier option to tobacco smoking but will also help in preventing any weight gain, not to mention that exercising also takes your mind off your cravings. If you’re unaccustomed to physical exertion, it is best to start with mild workouts. Brisk walking round the block may be a sensible way to start exercising.
4. If you have a relapse, do not give up on your goal.
Keep trying to stop. With practice, it becomes easier to quit. Whenever you make an attempt, you significantly improve your chances of quitting for good. On the average most people make up to 5 or 6 attempts before finally being able to quit
smoking for good. This is normal. Do not get discouraged when there is a relapse. You’re not a looser. Take the time to think and understand what particular obstacles prevented you from quitting. Was it that the nicotine cravings became unbearable? Or you relapsed when you went through a period of excessive stress? Talk about these experiences with your counselor or doctor.
Ask yourself why you failed and what you will do differently next time. If you think quit smoking replacements would make things easier the next time, you can ask for the advice of your doctor or pharmacist. Then make another attempt at quitting. Keep trying.
To resist the urge to smoke: four golden rules
If you are having a craving for a cigarette, here are four golden rules that will help you not to succumb:
i. Drinking water
Drink lots of water. This helps to eliminate nicotine and other chemicals faster from your system. And it occupies your mouth.
ii. Breathe deeply
Take a short session of deep breathing, instead of a cigarette break. Take a few deep breaths. Hold your last breath, then exhale slowly.
iii. Let time pass
When you were smoking, you were not always in control. When you smoke your body called for nicotine. By getting a hold of yourself and letting time pass, you take things in hand and you demonstrate control. The urge to smoke will probably disappear in a few minutes. Just wait a bit: the desire will wane and you’ll have another win.
iv Do something else
When the desire cigarettes hits you, it may be good idea to change activities. Move on. Go outside. Call a friend. Read a book. Throw yourself into something else. For some people, it is beneficial to hold something in the hands. You can resume a
knitting project, hold a stress ball, etc..